[Peace-discuss] more than a nuisance

Wendy Edwards wayward710 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 14:55:56 CST 2009

It did seem a bit paradoxical that Urbana would prohibit landlords from
refusing to rent to people with criminal histories, but then hold landlords
responsible for criminal behavior by tenants.  From my perspective, it seems
like landlords generally don't want problem tenants, and many are probably
inclined to do everything they legally can to minimize their risks.  I'm
wondering if an ordinance that could penalize them for tenants' behavior
might encourage landlords to skirt human rights laws and avoid renting to
people from groups they consider risky (e.g., minorities, people with
records, Section 8, etc).

Wendy