[Peace-discuss] The Wrestler and Workers' Rights

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 18:23:25 CST 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/nicolini02132009.html

Having seen The Wrestler twice, I can attest that it is one of the
best movies I've ever seen.  The entire cast was brilliant and I got
to see many independent promotions/independent wrestlers who I see
regularly at wrestling shows.  Interested to see what others think of
the article and what it says.

Interesting portrayal of the imagery in the film.  "This is not just
the body of Mickey Rourke or Randy “The Ram” Robinson. It is the face
and body of working class America. It is the body of every single
person who has spent his/her life performing labor for shit wages. It
is the body of everyone who has drunk too much to dull the pain of
life; who has fucked up their homes and families; who has brutalized
his/her body just to sustain existence. Randy The Ram is the beaten
body of labor, but it is also a victorious body. By making his body
the very product of his labor, Randy The Ram actually liberates
himself from the fetters of the system where he sells his body to
others, and he gives his audience, both on the screen and in the
movie theater, a source of identification, victory, and release.

Randy The Ram puts a face and body on the pounding the laboring class
takes everyday. He articulates it for us.  He goes to work and gets
beaten, punched, cut open, scarred, and brutalized in the performance
of his labor. Yes, pro wrestling is a performance, but the movie is
also reminding us that all labor is a performance."

Live hard,
      Neil

We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear.
[hunter s. thompson, 1937-2005]

It's after the fact, when it's clear that someone's f---ed up, that
the s---fountain is invoked to hide it.  Digging through that is why
I exist.  That moment of finding the thread...It isn't even about
revenge, although some people seem to think it is...I thrive to bring
them down not by being a bastard, but by showing the world what,
exactly, they did or said.  That's why who and what I am isn't
important to the story.  The story is what's important...The truth
won't defend itself, though, and bastard or not, it's got me.
[warren ellis, 1968-]