[Peace-discuss] Re: Gottheil Letter

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 20:00:07 CST 2009

Hey all -

Here's something I am putting together after I read Prof. Gottheil's
letter.  Any suggestions/edits appreciated.  Thanks.
____
Fred Gottheil's letter set up a straw man that he deftly knocked
down.  The thing about straw men is that they can't fight back.

The only showing of "hubris coupled with his loathing" that "trumps
logic and fact" was Mr. Gottheil.

There was intellectually devoid equivocation of those who stand for
Palestinian dignity and self-respect as being "friends with Hamas"
and that they "pretend to care about human life."  I don’t even want
to waste my time pointing out the idiocy of this.  The statement was
academically dishonest and it is morally reprehensible that such an
educated academic would write such trash.  For shame.

If one wants to talk about disregard for human life, one needs to
look no further than the stranglehold that the Israeli blockade has
had on the innocent civilians of Gaza.  One needs to look no further
than the Israelis admitting that their bombing of tunnels (needed to
bring in items due to the blockade) was the cause of the cease-fire
with Hamas being broken.  One needs to look no further than the
Israelis attacking universities and UN buildings, even after reports
showed there were no weapons or rocket fire at those locations.  One
needs to look no further than the daily refusals to allow
Palestinians through checkpoints to get to jobs or to hospitals after
being wounded.  One needs to look no further than the brutal, illegal
occupation that has stripped Palestinians of human dignity, self-
respect and opportunities for substantive existence.  Such hawkish
policies not only harm Palestinians but undermine the security and
safety of the Israeli public.

For Gottheil to then proclaim that only opponents of Israeli policy
"are partisans in this international conflict" is laughable.

Mr. Gottheil has a right to his own opinion, but he should not daftly
go forward with half-truths, ad hominem smears and intellectual
dishonesty in his attempt to dull criticism of Israel.

Live hard,
      Neil

We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear.
[hunter s. thompson, 1937-2005]

It's after the fact, when it's clear that someone's f---ed up, that
the s---fountain is invoked to hide it.  Digging through that is why
I exist.  That moment of finding the thread...It isn't even about
revenge, although some people seem to think it is...I thrive to bring
them down not by being a bastard, but by showing the world what,
exactly, they did or said.  That's why who and what I am isn't
important to the story.  The story is what's important...The truth
won't defend itself, though, and bastard or not, it's got me.
[warren ellis, 1968-]