[Peace-discuss] (no subject)

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Feb 16 11:34:22 CST 2009

I thought this might be of interest. Of course the question it raises - if
true - is where do we go from here?

First there is the article based on Susan Solomon's work telling us that we
have gotten to the essentially irreversible stage in climate change:

Global Warming Is Irreversible, Study Says http://www.truthout.org/012709O
Richard Harris, NPR News: "Climate change is essentially irreversible,
according to a sobering new scientific study. As carbon dioxide emissions
continue to rise, the world will experience more and more long-term
environmental disruption. The damage will persist even when, and if,
emissions are brought under control, says study author Susan Solomon, who is
among the world's top climate scientists. 'We're used to thinking about
pollution problems as things that we can fix,' Solomon says. 'Smog, we just
cut back and everything will be better later. Or haze, you know, it'll go
away pretty quickly.'"

Now we are told that it not only is irreversible but it is taking place at a
faster rate than we anticipated.

Scientists: Pace of Climate Change Exceeds Estimates
http://www.truthout.org/021609M Kari Lydersen, The Washington Post: "The
pace of global warming is likely to be much faster than recent predictions,
because industrial greenhouse gas emissions have increased more quickly than
expected and higher temperatures are triggering self-reinforcing feedback
mechanisms in global ecosystems, scientists said Saturday. 'We are basically
looking now at a future climate that's beyond anything we've considered
seriously in climate model simulations,' Christopher Field, founding
director of the Carnegie Institution's Department of Global Ecology at
Stanford University, said at the annual meeting of the American Association
for the Advancement of Science."

If all this is true, we will no longer have to worry about the oil supply,
terrorism, current and future wars.  As the Kingston Trio song went, "we're
all going to die."  Of course back then, they were talking about nuclear war
and not climate change.