[Peace-discuss] "Waltz with Bashir" at the Art Feb 27.

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 10:53:20 CST 2009

Well Bob, there's no way to evaluate a movie that claims to be based on historical events without understanding as much as is possible the contextual truth about those events. I'd be very surprised if the movie does that, concentric circles aside. Israeli "anguish" in no way implies honest self-criticism, in fact it implies the opposite--the sentimentalization of political criminality, the sublimation of moral responsibility and the denial of its consequences. Israeli "anguish" always assumes moral superiority and hand-washing at the same time. At best it sounds to me like what during Watergate was called a "modified, limited, hangout." It's suspect that it's popular. A film that was genuinely critical of Israel, with implications made clear, would not get a Hollywood award. It's not for me to tell people to see it or not to. Personally, I won't, on principle, unless it's necessary preparation for a public event critically discussing it.

DG