[Peace-discuss] "Waltz with Bashir" at the Art Feb 27.

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 11:29:55 CST 2009

I saw the film last night and my experience of it was not that it had
the intent or likely effect of pushing away moral responsibility -
quite the contrary. There is certainly a lot of context that the film
doesn't provide - that would be true of any movie, so unless one is
opposed to making movies on these topics, that wouldn't strike me as a
meaningful criticism - but I think that it makes unmistakably clear
that the massacre was the predictable outcome of Israeli actions and
that as soon as Israeli actions changed the massacre stopped.
Furthermore, the movie draws direct lines between the massacre and
Auschwitz which are not the least bit subtle or understated.

Is it suspicious that the film is "popular"? First of all, it's not
_that_ popular - the theatre I saw it in last night was virtually
empty. It has received critical acclaim which I think is richly
deserved. But I wouldn't doubt that part of the acclaim of the film
may be political in the sense that it's a "safe" window on Israeli
atrocities because it's an Israeli film. If so, would that be so
terrible? I don't think so. The creation of "safe" windows, it seems
to me, is a big part of the work of activism, trying to bring that
which is known by one group of people to the attention of another
group of people...

There are efforts to show the film in Lebanon, despite that fact that,
like all Israeli movies, it is officially banned there. One activist
involved in such efforts said that when the movie comes out on DVD, it
will be pirated all over Lebanon the next day...