[Peace-discuss] Obama adds another hack

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 24 11:44:30 CST 2009

[I spoke too soon -- in speculating about a possible diplomatic revolution in
the Mideast -- when I said that Obama had avoided employing the awful pro-Israel
hack Dennis Ross.  Maybe this was the (internal) USG price for appointing former
ambassador to Saudi Arabia Charles W. Freeman to head the National Intelligence
Council.  --CGE]

	Ross joins Obama team in Iran-related capacity
	By Ron Kampeas · February 23, 2009

WASHINGTON (JTA) -- Dennis Ross joined the Obama administration in a
coordinating role on policy regarding Iran and its neighbors.

Ross was named special adviser to the secretary of state for the Gulf and
Southwest Asia.

"This is a region in which America is fighting two wars and facing challenges of
ongoing conflict, terror, proliferation, access to energy, economic development
and strengthening democracy and the rule of law," said a statement late Monday
from Robert Wood, the spokesman for Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.
"In this area, we must strive to build support for U.S. goals and policies. To
be successful, we will need to be able to integrate our policy development and
implementation across a broad range of offices and senior officials in the State
Department, and in his role as Special Advisor to the Secretary, Ambassador Ross
will be asked to play that role."

The geographical designations and the reference to "two wars" suggest that Ross
will focus on Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan -- but not necessarily on Israel-area
crises, his area of expertise when he was top Middle East negotiator in the
first Bush and the Clinton administrations.

President Obama already appointed former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell as an envoy
to the Israel-related Middle East peace process.

Ross, the statement said, "will provide to the Secretary and senior State
Department officials strategic advice and perspective on the region; offer
assessments and also act to ensure effective policy integration throughout the
region; coordinate with senior officials in the development and formulation of
new policy approaches; and participate, at the request of the Secretary, in
inter-agency activities related to the region."

During the campaign, Ross outlined what he said was a "sticks-then-carrots"
approach to engaging Iran: rallying the international community to tighten
sanctions before offering incentives to have the Islamic Republic stand down
from its suspected nuclear weapons program.

	###