[Peace-discuss] Obama adds another hack

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 24 21:17:19 CST 2009

http://washingtonindependent.com/31275/state-department-we-will-not-tell-you-what-dennis-ross-will-be-doing

	State Department: We Will Not Tell You What Dennis Ross Will Be Doing!
	By SPENCER ACKERMAN 2/24/09 4:00 PM

Earlier today I wrote that Dennis Ross was finally getting made an Obama
administration “envoy” to… uh… a country with a name that rhymes with Gee-Dan.
(Or, if you’re fancy, Gee-DAWN.) Not so, says acting State Department spokesman
Robert Wood! But what will his job actually be, then? Hard to say. You really
have to read the full transcript from today’s State press briefing for the full
measure of insanity over State’s unwillingness to explain what Ross will be doing.

"Let me be clear, he’s not an envoy. He will not be negotiating. He’ll be
working on regional issues. He will not be – in terms of negotiating, will not
be involved in the peace process. But again, he is going to be advising the
Secretary on long-term strategic issues across the region."

Wood doesn’t even want to tell reporters which countries fall under the
portfolio of the Special Advisor to the Secretary of State for The Gulf and
Southwest Asia. (”I just – I don’t have the list to run off – you know, right
off the top of my head here.”) While Ross won’t be negotiating, he will “meet
with the leaders in the region” — only Wood won’t say what the region entails
and when asked, Wood said:

"Look, it’s more – he’s going to be providing advice to the Secretary on a
number of regional issues, and I would not try to limit Dennis’s advice to, you
know, just those regions. He may have other – you know, he may have advice that
he wants to give the Secretary on other issues. I don’t think we’re trying to
narrow it here."

In other words, Dennis Ross is everywhere and nowhere, the Keyser Soze of the
State Department. You could read the transcript and conclude that Ross is
all-powerful, advising Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton — who basically ended a
photo op today when a reporter asked about Ross — on all manner of issues. Or
you could read it and conclude that Ross met a welter of bureaucratic resistance
at the State Department to the prospect of him getting an envoyship, and Clinton
required a face-saving way of shunting him aside. My very-helpful guess is that
Ross’s role remains unsettled, at least until he and Richard Holbrooke meet in
the Octagon.