[Peace-discuss] Blago-Burris circus

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 11:30:17 CST 2009

True that selling a Senate seat is not much of a crime compared to making aggressive war, particularly against civilians.  However, I don't think it counts for much that our illustrious governor hasn't yet been convicted, as you point out - after all, neither has Bush - or Obama.  (Obama hasn't even been inaugurated yet, after which we *fear* that he *may* "kill thousands" - and while it can be argued that his relative inaction has allowed the deaths of many thousands, and we would have wanted him to fight for the anti-war mantle he at times claimed, that's just not the same as being a "blood-spattered con-man" I think.

It might be more like a politician who doesn't measure up to our expectations - imagine that - but in this case one who may represent an opening to make some gains, at times moderate, at times marginal, with any luck on occasion significant gains, on various fronts, but only if we organize to make it happen.

It is also true that it is hard to "fill the streets" for much of anything.  It's a lot easier to complain that we aren't doing it, I have to say.  But even if we do try and fail to organize mass protests, it's more useful to analyze why specific efforts fail and other succeed than to simply dismiss the efforts of others.

Personally, I think Just Foreign Policy has some worthy campaigns going on - to try to block any attacks on Iran, for example.  At the moment, MoveOn - though most of us are not usually fans - has a good project to rally Obama supporters to push the most "progressive" agenda possible.  It's a good idea.  Organized labor and other groups are all pushing what they think they can, and many of these efforts seem to me to be worth our support - with some glaring exceptions, like that nonsense I shared earlier about "partitioning Iraq" or whatever.

There are promises that Obama made, like closing Guantanamo Bay, and rhetoric he used, about "diplomacy" for example, that organizers can use to rally for bigger and better causes, expanding on these ideas to call for, e.g. closing *all* bases like Gitmo and the fmr. SOA, etc.  And there are ideas where Obama has been "inactive" - like the Israeli occupation and aggression against the Palestinian people - that need our efforts as well.  This Saturday at noon there is a rally against Isareli aggression in Gaza.  The Mosque had a meeting last night to plan local response to these attacks.  AWARE is planning an event for the local MLK Day activities.  These are all worthy efforts.  And if we still have energy, and feel that more should be done, we can meet together with people and plan more.

But simply to dismiss the lack of effort, paint Obama with a wide brush, or accuse the antiwar movement of being coopted without backing that up, just doesn't help anything, in my opinion.  But now i'm repeating myself.
Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn