[Peace-discuss] Blago-Burris circus

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 4 12:02:49 CST 2009

Yes, and, with the happy accident of the BBC (I like your coinage of
"Blago-Burris circus"), Illinois continues to supply a distraction from the real
political situation, as it did during the presidential (non-)election.

Consider two Illinois politicians. One may be guilty of nothing more than bad
language and politics as usual: he's been convicted of nothing, and -- innocent
until proven guilty -- has exercised his legal responsibility to appoint a
senator. (I should think that Illinoisans would be more miffed at the Senate's
intention to disregard our legal procedures.)  He hasn't even been accused of
killing anybody, or even planning to.

The other Illinois politician is publicly planning to kill thousands, and by his
inaction has allowed the killing of hundreds this week alone by thugs paid by
our government.  But we're not planning to fill the streets to prevent the
public celebration of the inauguration of this blood-spattered con-man.  Our
dismay is displaced onto the pathetic governor.  As he might say, fuck that...

--CGE