[Peace-discuss] US Senate Supports Israel's Gaza Incursion

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:48:21 CST 2009

[The text of the resolution introduced jointly by Sens. Reid and McConnell and
approved by unanimous consent of our US senators.  Alexander Cockburn (a
naysayer?) comments, "Blago's a prince compared with this lot."  --CGE]

Recognizing the right of Israel to defend itself against attacks from Gaza and
reaffirming the United States’ strong support for Israel in its battle with
Hamas, and supporting the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

     Whereas Hamas was founded with the stated goal of destroying the State of
Israel;

     Whereas Hamas has been designated by the Secretary of State as a Foreign
Terrorist Organization;

     Whereas Hamas has refused to comply with the requirements of the Quartet
(the United States, the European Union, Russia, and the United Nations) that
Hamas recognize Israel’s right to exist, renounce violence, and agree to accept
previous agreements between Israel and the Palestinians;

     Whereas, in June 2006, Hamas crossed into Israel, attacked Israeli forces
and kidnapped Corporal Gilad Shalit, whom they continue to hold today;

     Whereas Hamas has launched thousands of rockets and mortars since Israel
dismantled settlements and withdrew from Gaza in 2005;

     Whereas Hamas has increased the range of its rockets, reportedly with
support from Iran and others, putting additional large numbers of Israelis in
danger of rocket attacks from Gaza;

     Whereas Hamas locates elements of its terrorist infrastructure in civilian
population centers, thus using innocent civilians as human shields;

     Whereas Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said in a statement on December
27, 2008, that ‘‘[w]e strongly condemn the repeated rocket and mortar attacks
against Israel and hold Hamas responsible for breaking the ceasefire and for the
renewal of violence there’’;

     Whereas, on December 27, 2008, Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Olmert said,
‘‘For approximately seven years, hundreds of thousands of Israeli citizens in
the south have been suffering from missiles being fired at them.. . . In such a
situation we had no alternative but to respond. We do not rejoice in battle but
neither will we be deterred from it.. . .The operation in the Gaza Strip is
designed, first and foremost, to bring about an improvement in the security
reality for the residents of the south of the country.’’;

     Whereas, on January 2, 2009, Secretary of State Rice stated that ‘‘Hamas
has held the people of Gaza hostage ever since their illegal coup against the
forces of President
     Mahmoud Abbas, the legitimate President of the Palestinian people. Hamas
has used Gaza as a launching pad for rockets against Israeli cities and has
contributed deeply to a very bad daily life for the Palestinian people in Gaza,
and to a humanitarian situation that we have all been trying to address’’;

     Whereas the humanitarian situation in Gaza, including shortages of food,
water, electricity, and adequate medical care, is becoming more acute;

     Whereas Israel has facilitated humanitarian aid to Gaza with over 500
trucks and numerous ambulances entering the Gaza Strip since December 26, 2008;

     Whereas, on January 2, 2009, Secretary of State Rice stated that it was
‘‘Hamas that rejected the Egyptian and Arab calls for an extension of the
tahadiya that Egypt had negotiated’’ and that the United States was ‘‘working
toward a cease-fire that would not allow a reestablishment of the status quo
ante where Hamas can continue to launch rockets out of Gaza. It is obvious that
that ceasefire should take place as soon as possible, but we need a cease-fire
that is durable and sustainable’’; and

     Whereas the ultimate goal of the United States is a sustainable resolution
of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that will allow for a viable and independent
Palestinian state living side by side in peace and security with the State of
Israel, which will not be possible as long as Israeli civilians are under threat
from within Gaza: Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the Senate—

     (1) expresses vigorous support and unwavering commitment to the welfare,
security, and survival of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state
with secure borders, and recognizes its right to act in self-defense to protect
its citizens against acts of terrorism;
     (2) reiterates that Hamas must end the rocket and mortar attacks against
Israel, recognize Israel’s right to exist, renounce violence, and agree to
accept previous agreements between Israel and the Palestinians;
     (3) encourages the President to work actively to support a durable,
enforceable, and sustainable cease-fire in Gaza, as soon as possible, that
prevents Hamas from retaining or rebuilding the capability to launch rockets and
mortars against Israel and allows for the long term improvement of daily living
conditions for the ordinary people of Gaza;
     (4) believes strongly that the lives of innocent civilians must be
protected and all appropriate measures should be taken to diminish civilian
casualties and that all involved should continue to work to address humanitarian
needs in Gaza;
     (5) supports and encourages efforts to diminish the appeal and influence of
extremists in the Palestinian  territories and to strengthen moderate
Palestinians who are committed to a secure and lasting peace with Israel; and

     (6) reiterates its strong support for United States Government efforts to
promote a just resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through a serious
and sustained peace process that leads to the creation of a viable and
independent Palestinian state living in peace alongside a secure State of Israel.

[Yes, our congressman certainly deserves a phone call on this (Tim Johnson
202.225.2371, or his chief flack, Phil Bloomer 217.403.4690).  His intellectual
bodyguards will tell you that Tim favors an even-handed approach in the Middle
East, and that's what the USG is doing... --CGE]