[Peace-discuss] "To Help Palestine, Be Pro-Israel Too",from Ira Chernus

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 11 10:11:11 CST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 05:47:40AM -0600, unionyes wrote:
> Here is a " spin " Stuart that would resonate with most Americans ;
>
> Cut off ALL U.S. taxpayer money to Israel that currently amounts to over $
> 40 billion per year.
> Why should we the taxpayers be sending OUR money to an out of control
> government that will cause only more hatred against the U.S..
> That $ 40 billion can be used HERE in the U.S. to help our economy (
> healthcare, jobs, home utility costs, stopping forclosures, etc. ).
>
> David Johnson

$40 billion/year sounds high -- I would think it's more like 6 billion/year,
about half of it military "aid".  (A recent bill allotted $30 billion over 10 years
to specifically military aid.)

But it's still a lot of money, even with multi-trillion dollar bailouts
in the air, and yes it's worth mentioning.  Especially if we then go on
to say how some of the military portion gets used.