[Peace-discuss] Food for thought?

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 15:07:26 CST 2009

>From Reich's Blog:

*I'd suggest that all contracts entered into with stimulus funds require
contractors to provide at least 20 percent of jobs to the long-term
unemployed and to people with incomes at or below 200 percent of the federal
poverty level. And at least 2 percent of project funds should be allocated
to such training. In addition, advantage should be taken of buildings trades
apprenticeships - which must be fully available to women and minorities.*

I think that this suggestion does begin to address some of the inequities
that do exist within the trade professions. I would also go so far as to
recommend that failing to recruit and train women and minorities be subject
to severe penalties.