[Peace-discuss] Food for thought?

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 15:50:34 CST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Marti Wilkinson <martiwilki at gmail.com>wrote:

>From Reich's Blog:
>
> *I'd suggest that all contracts entered into with stimulus funds require
> contractors to provide at least 20 percent of jobs to the long-term
> unemployed and to people with incomes at or below 200 percent of the federal
> poverty level. And at least 2 percent of project funds should be allocated
> to such training. In addition, advantage should be taken of buildings trades
> apprenticeships - which must be fully available to women and minorities.*
>
> I think that this suggestion does begin to address some of the inequities
> that do exist within the trade professions. I would also go so far as to
> recommend that failing to recruit and train women and minorities be subject
> to severe penalties.

One interesting thing to me about all of this is that most friends of
working people seem to feel that the Latina whom Obama has recently
appointed as Secretary of Labor (I'm blanking on her name at the moment) is
one of his few GOOD selections.  While I don't disagree, Robert Reich was a
genuinely good Secretary of Labor in the Clinton administration, but nobody
paid a damned bit of attention to him.  They basically still don't.

John W.