Fw: [Peace-discuss] Food for thought?

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Sun Jan 11 15:27:31 CST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: unionyes
To: LAURIE SOLOMON
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Food for thought?

The short answer is Green Collar Jobs.

Besides an increase in solar, wind, etc. use, encouraged by some type of government help ( R and D, tax credits, direct investment, training programs, etc. ), the re-tooling of the U.S. auto industry to make electric cars, high speed rail and inter-urban light rail ( which would BEGIN to creep us towards Western Europe and Japan, who are 40 years ahead of us ).

The long answer is a more systemic problem which ties in with why the above short answer hasn't happened and addressing your concern Laurie, about the corporate system being sustained. The system that created the problems we currently have.
That problem is the Capitalist system.

The other point that is mentioned about the construction industry being dominated by white males IS absolutely true.
The problem is that the construction Unions have allowed the contractors almost total control of hiring / firing.
The Unions take in apprentices every year, with a ratio of about 20 % minorities and women. The problem is that they don't get enough work via the contractors and 75 % drop out after one to three years.
In fact, in Champaign-Urbana where 95 % of the construction work is located, you will find that 90 % of the Workers on these jobs do NOT live in Champaign-Urbana.
State and Federal construction projects ( U of I )  are required to have a workforce on these projects that reflect the community in terms of race.
If you use the population diversity of the County as a benchmark, then 9 % of the Tradespeople should be African American, 2% Hispanic ( or more ), and about 1% Asian ( excluding visiting academics at the U of I ).
What is typical on the job-sites overall is 2% African American at best. No Hispanics unless they are specialty crews from Chicago ( terrazo floors, etc. ), and I have only seen ONE Asian Tradesperson in my 30 years in the Trades.

And the above are the COUNTY figures. You can guess how this would change if you used City of Champaign and Urbana figures for benchmarks.

David J.