FW: [Peace-discuss] Food for thought?

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sun Jan 11 16:24:08 CST 2009

I am not all that sure that the short answer is really an answer; because to
train the unskilled to do the "Green jobs," we would have to train a
sufficient number of people to  train and teach unskilled persons those
jobs.  I doubt if we currently have enough qualified persons to do the
training in any sufficient quantity.  Thus the time to train the trainers
plus the time for the trainers to train the unskilled would probably not
serve as any corrective in the short run.  In the long run, it may result in
a greener society with greener infrastructure and the transforming of
unskilled persons into skilled persons to do both the training and the jobs;
but that not only would be of any good to those who have not work or skills
now.  Moreover, in addition to needing to train  trainers and skilled job
holder, I would assume that as we are catching up with Western Europe and
Japan in this area things will be evolving which means that all the trained
trainers and job holders will need to undergo further training to keep up to
date which may result in a situation similar to that being experienced in
nursing these days.

Of course the long answer is  that it is a systemic problem that may require
dramatic radical system changes and not just reforms of new expanded
programs of the same type as we have had in the past, which typically were
not all that effective, when things were not as technically complex and
complicated and just about everyone could learn to do laborer jobs with
little extensive time consuming training through make work programs which
build some of the original non-technical infrastructure.  You did not need
to know how to operate a computer or read a computer printout to carry
bricks or pour concrete, run a truck or tractor, paint a building or bridge,
etc.  I think you get my point.  In short, the problem is the capitalist
system and much more - e.g., the overly technological and technologically
dependent society, the insistence on formal credentials over experience of
abilities, and the over bureaucratization of job sites and projects.

>The problem is that the construction Unions have allowed the contractors
almost total control of hiring / firing.

I claim no expertise or even knowledge about the politics of the
construction industry or its union and contractor players.  That is your
sphere of expertise. J but I thing that  in addition to what you have said
about unions allowing contractors almost total control over hiring/firing,
questions about the meanings of local communities may have a bearing with
respect to who gets hired and fired with respect to what geographic
locations they are drawn from as well as what the target demographics need
to be in order to be in accord with the Federal and State standards.  I am
sure that if all hirings needed to be drawn from the membership of local
union hall where the job site is located  (i.e., no persons from outside the
area unless there is no one in the geographic community that can do the job
even if they might be union members of a different regions union hall) and
the union membership needed to match the demographics of the local
geographic community that it was located in and represented there might be
some changes in the character of the work force.

I would also suspect that the construction industry is almost totally white
male dominated not only because of historic reasons but because there are
too many non-union persons who are ready and willing to take construction
jobs to pick up some cash, who are tradespeople do not support or trust
unions, and who are seasonal workers who only do construction during the
construction season when they are out of school or during the winter when
they are  not farming in order to supplement their incomes.

At any rate, I do not see any of the make work stimulus plans as really
changing anything except that they might temporarily buy off  some of the
established middle class construction industry workers in and out of the
union.