[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Saying nay to USG lies

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 11 16:01:14 CST 2009

 From <http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/002783.html>:

This week Keith Olbermann had on former National Security Council staffer
Hillary Mann Leverett. In a deeply shocking maneuver, she told the truth about
the US, the mideast, and the incoming Obama administration:

     OLBERMANN: The other thing that will change, if not on the 20th then shortly
thereafter, is the identify of the secretary of state. And here is Hillary
Clinton coming in to the middle of this with a last name certainly that is, to
some degree, magical, influential at least in the Middle East. How is her
appointment going to shape Obama`s efforts for Middle East peace? And how will
it be received by both sides in the Middle East?

     LEVERETT: Her name is magical and influential to an extent in Israel. But
throughout many capitals in the Arab world, where I served at the US embassy in
Cairo and in the Gulf, there is a lot more skepticism that she is going to be
even handed. *There is considerable fear about the advisers that she is going to
bring with her, people like Martin Indyk or Dennis Ross, Ken Pollack, people
that I would call neo-conservative fellow travelers, people who brought us a
failed peace process between the Israelis and Palestinians by the end of the
Clinton term in 2000, people who cheered and championed the invasion of Iraq
under this administration.  There is a lot of fear and consternation that the
advisers, in particular, that Hillary Clinton is bringing with her are going to
make us long for the Bush days.*