[Peace-discuss] So that's OK, then

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 14 22:31:11 CST 2009

	Cheney Tells Jim Lehrer Tonight:
	No Torture, Few Mistakes, Economy Not Our Fault
	By Greg Mitchell
	Published: January 14, 2009 4:35 PM ET

NEW YORK In an exit interview with PBS's Jim Lehrer for the "NewsHour" airing
tonight, Vice President Cheney repeats claims that Saddam Hussein worked with
al-Qaeda. Asked if he made any mistakes in his eight years as V.P., Cheney only
mentions underestimating the psychological harm Saddam had done to his own
people. He said his administration bore no blame for the economic problem: "I
think we had good economic policies, especially in the early years." And the
terror threat was inherited because of the poor handling by previous presidents.

On polls showing he is overwhelmingly unpopular among the American people: "I
don't buy that."

And he shrugged off a critical statement today by a key figure, who used to work
under him -- she called the handling of one terror suspect as clear "torture."

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003930623