[Peace-discuss] Obama embraces a fraud: Brits

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:35:49 CST 2009

[Obama has said that Afghanistan and Pakistan are now the front-line in the "war
on terror" as his justification for sending 30,000 more US troops to
Afghanistan, doubling the current US military there.  Here he's given the lie by
the British Foreign Secretary.  --CGE]

     'War on terror' was wrong
     * David Miliband
     * The Guardian, Thursday 15 January 2009

The terrorist attacks in Mumbai seven weeks ago sent shock waves around the
world. Now all eyes are fixed on the Middle East, where Israel's response to
Hamas's rockets, a ferocious military campaign, has already left a thousand
Gazans dead.

Seven years on from 9/11 it is clear that we need to take a fundamental look at
our efforts to prevent extremism and its terrible offspring, terrorist violence.
Since 9/11, the notion of a "war on terror" has defined the terrain. The phrase
had some merit: it captured the gravity of the threats, the need for solidarity,
and the need to respond urgently - where necessary, with force. But ultimately,
the notion is misleading and mistaken. The issue is not whether we need to
attack the use of terror at its roots, with all the tools available. We must.
The question is how.

The idea of a "war on terror" gave the impression of a unified, transnational
enemy, embodied in the figure of Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida. The reality is
that the motivations and identities of terrorist groups are disparate.
Lashkar-e-Taiba has roots in Pakistan and says its cause is Kashmir. Hezbollah
says it stands for resistance to occupation of the Golan Heights. The Shia and
Sunni insurgent groups in Iraq have myriad demands. They are as diverse as the
1970s European movements of the IRA, Baader-Meinhof, and Eta. All used terrorism
and sometimes they supported each other, but their causes were not unified and
their cooperation was opportunistic. So it is today.

The more we lump terrorist groups together and draw the battle lines as a simple
binary struggle between moderates and extremists, or good and evil, the more we
play into the hands of those seeking to unify groups with little in common.
Terrorist groups need to be tackled at root, interdicting flows of weapons and
finance, exposing the shallowness of their claims, channelling their followers
into democratic politics.

The "war on terror" also implied that the correct response was primarily
military. But as General Petraeus said to me and others in Iraq, the coalition
there could not kill its way out of the problems of insurgency and civil strife.

This is what divides supporters and opponents of the military action in Gaza.
Similar issues are raised by the debate about the response to the Mumbai
attacks. Those who were responsible must be brought to justice and the
government of Pakistan must take urgent and effective action to break up terror
networks on its soil. But on my visit to south Asia this week, I am arguing that
the best antidote to the terrorist threat in the long term is cooperation.
Although I understand the current difficulties, resolution of the dispute over
Kashmir would help deny extremists in the region one of their main calls to
arms, and allow Pakistani authorities to focus more effectively on tackling the
threat on their western borders.

We must respond to terrorism by championing the rule of law, not subordinating
it, for it is the cornerstone of the democratic society. We must uphold our
commitments to human rights and civil liberties at home and abroad. That is
surely the lesson of Guantánamo and it is why we welcome President-elect Obama's
commitment to close it.

The call for a "war on terror" was a call to arms, an attempt to build
solidarity for a fight against a single shared enemy. But the foundation for
solidarity between peoples and nations should be based not on who we are
against, but on the idea of who we are and the values we share. Terrorists
succeed when they render countries fearful and vindictive; when they sow
division and animosity; when they force countries to respond with violence and
repression. The best response is to refuse to be cowed.

• David Miliband is the foreign secretary milibandd at parliament.uk