[Peace-discuss] Would you rather have McCain?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 19 10:25:19 CST 2009

I meant that the great alternative presented to the voters was really not much
of an alternative at all.  Most Americans realize that.

By a thin margin, more people voted for Obama than McCain, but Obama received
the votes of less than one-third of the electorate -- and many of those, only
because people thought that the only allowed alternative (McCain) was worse. In
a free vote, they would have chosen someone else.

The vast political distraction of the last year and more illustrates Gore
Vidal's remark, "Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are
held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates."  --CGE