[Peace-discuss] WHAT accounts for the US' mindless support for Israel???

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:57:36 CST 2009

Jenifer Cartwright asked > WHAT accounts for the US' mindless support for
Israel???

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) is America's Pro-Israel
Lobby. 100,000-members. Money beyond belief.

Of the two recent resolutions "recognizing Israel's right to defend itself against
attacks from Gaza":
* Senate Resolution 10 passed by unanimous consent in the Senate.
* House Resolution 34 passed the House by a vote of 390 to 5. Rep. Nancy
Pelosi was the sponsor and there were 116 co-sponsors. Those 5 voting
AGAINST the resolution were: Dennis Kucinich, Gwen Moore, Nick Rahall,
Maxine Waters, and Ronald Paul.

You really must look at the numerous statements of "American Leaders Speak
Out in Support of Israel's Right to Self-Defense" updated January 15, 2009.
http://www.aipac.org/Publications/SourceMaterialsCongressionalAction/Congre
ssIsraelGazaSelfDefense.pdf

Is it the U.S.'s fear of Iran that gives this group (AIPAC) so much power?

Hey, have you seen the video of Obama at AIPAC's policy conference???? Scary
but worth watching.
http://www.aipac.org/about_AIPAC/Learn_About_AIPAC/2841_12684.asp
He mentions the nebulous "shared interests, shared values."

AIPAC claims as their major achievements:
* Passing more than a dozen bills and resolutions condemning and imposing
tough sanctions on Iran during the past 15 years.
* Securing critical security assistance to Israel each year to ensure that Israel
remains capable of facing increased threats.
* Passing legislation requiring the administration to evaluate all future military
sales to Arab states in the context of the need to maintain Israel's qualitative
military edge over potential adversaries.
* Reinforcing the key principles America should stand by as it works to help
Israel achieve peace in letters to the president signed by 268 House members
and 78 senators.
* Passing multiple resolutions affirming congressional support for Israel's right
to self-defense in the face of terrorism by the terrorist groups Hamas and
Hizballah.
* Strongly urging the administration to take its decision to designate Iran's
Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist group and weapons
proliferator through an amendment supported by 76 senators and key
legislation passed in the House of Representatives.
* Strengthening U.S.-Israel energy cooperation by passing legislation that
establishes a grant program that funds joint projects between U.S. and Israeli
entities in the field of alternative energy.
* Strengthening U.S.-Israel homeland security cooperation by passing landmark
legislation creating an office within the Department of Homeland Security to
support joint research and development projects between the United States and
key allies such as Israel.
* Prohibiting U.S. aid and contacts with a Hamas-led PA until its leaders
recognize Israel's right to exist, renounce violence and ratify previous Israeli-
Palestinian peace agreements.
* Ratifying an agreement that led to the Israeli medical service Magen David
Adom's admission to the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
(IRC).
* Passing the Syrian Accountability Act, which allows the president to sanction
Syria for its continued involvement in Lebanon and support of terrorism.