[Peace-discuss] WHAT accounts for the US' mindless support for Israel???

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 21 21:06:18 CST 2009

I think it's important to realize that the USG's support for Israel isn't
mindless at all.  It's perfectly in keeping with the long-standing US policy in
the Middle East, which -- because of its energy resources -- is the most
important region of the world for US foreign policy.

"Since WWI, when the world began to move onto an oil-based economy, the Middle
East has become central in world affairs, for the very obvious reason that it
has, by far the largest and the most accessible petroleum resources -- primarily
in Saudi Arabia, secondarily in Iraq, and thirdly in the Gulf Emirates, and
elsewhere. As the State Department described it during the Second World War,
when the US was taking over, 'It's a stupendous source of strategic power and
the greatest material prize in world history.' In the 1950s President Eisenhower
called it 'strategically the most important part of the world.'"

It's become even more important to the US as economic rivals arose in the world
-- Europe and northeast Asia.  The US doesn't need Mideast energy for its own
purposes, but control of it gives the USG a strangle-hold over these competing
economies.

The greatest threat to US control has been what the State Department calls
"domestic radicalism" -- the unconscionable demand of the people of the region
to control their own resources.

In the post-WWII period of decolonization, this threat was borne by (secular)
Arab nationalism, led by Nasser of Egypt.  The defeat of this threat by Israel
in 1967 solidified the adoption by the US of Israel as its chief client (and by
far the largest recipient of US foreign aid, particularly military).  It became
the bulwark against threats to "our" oil -- the "local cop on the beat," in the
words of the Nixon-Kissinger administration.

It's recently become fashionable to ignore the long-term geopolitical reasons
that make the US Israel's patron, and to suggest that it's all matter of
lobbying, of bribing congress with campaign contributions, or of malign and
occult influence by the Israeli government over successive US administrations.
At its worst (as in the case of the recently-departed head of the CIA, George
Tenet) -- and not just on the Right -- this view becomes a sort of higher
anti-semitism, the notion that crimes that the US has committed in SW Asia are
the Jews' fault.

As Noam Chomsky argues, "The thesis ... is that the lobbies have overwhelming
influence, and the so-called 'national interest' is harmed by what they do. If
that were the case, it would be, I would think, a very hopeful conclusion. It
would mean that U.S. policy could easily be reversed. It would simply be
necessary to explain to the major centers of power, like the energy
corporations, high-tech industry and arms producers and so on, just explain to
them that their interests are being harmed by this small lobby that screams
anti-semitism and funds congressmen, and so on. Surely those institutions can
utterly overwhelm the lobby in political influence, in finance, and so on, so
that ought to reverse the policy."

But it doesn't happen, and the reason is that USG support for Israel isn't
mindless at all; it's an important part of fundamental US geopolitical strategy,
notably its control of the Mideast energy.  --CGE