[Peace-discuss] Questions for Wayne

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 03:58:12 CST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:19 PM, E. Wayne Johnson <ewj at pigs.ag> wrote:

Q1:  "The coercive power of the State" is exercised here to uphold the rule
> of law
> in protecting the life of the unborn.
>
> - I would suggest punishment for the "physician" equal to that punishment
> rendered when any medical person deliberately and knowingly and willfully
> by direct application of the medical arts causes the death of a patient
> under his charge.
> It should be sufficient to end the practice of abortion.
>
> Libertarian writer Murray Rothbard did not believe that the power of the
> state extended to the
> woman's body in the case of abortion, but I disagree with his
> interpretation of the situation.
> There is another individual with exactly equal natural rights when there is
> a pregnancy.
> It then becomes clear that this is an individual whose right to life must
> be protected,
> and securing that right to life for the innocent is a valid and essential
> purpose of government.
>
> It is wrong to forcibly take away the life of the unborn child, whether it
> be by trauma, surgery,
> poisoning, or by modifying the maternal environment through drugs, surgery,
> acupuncture, or
> other interventions.
>
> I suggest only mercy for the mother who is another victim in the crime.

Like most libertarians, you strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.

If you punish the physicians, then of course the vast majority of them will
stop performing abortions in a relatively safe, clean, sterile environment.
Then we're back to the situation that prevailed prior to Roe v. Wade.
Affluent women will go to Europe or wherever for their abortions.  Poor
women will once again resort to coat hangers.  If that is merciful to the
mother, then "mercy" must have recently acquired some new definition of
which I am quite unaware.  Or perhaps there is a special Libertarian
Dictionary?

I would add to Ron Szoke's question the following (you skipped questions 2A
and 2B, by the way):

3)  If indeed "securing that right to life for the innocent is a valid and
essential purpose of government," then what precisely is the valid and
essential purpose of government with regard to securing the right to life
for mother and child AFTER the birth of the child?  What assistance should
mother and child be able to expect from their government?

John Wason