[Peace-discuss] Biological imperatives

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Jan 26 22:24:49 CST 2009

Ron Szoke wrote:
> More off-topic questions for Wayne:
>
> 3.  Since you have cited your authority & expertise as a biologist as support for
> your  opinions on the moral status of homosexuality, do you hold that the great
> majority of biologists hold the same opinion on the same basis?  It seems to me
> that, if there is not a strong consensus among the great majority of qualified
> biologists on the moral question, then your supposed credentials as a biologist
> are of no avail whatever in supporting your moral views.  (Looks like you quote
> the Bible instead.)
>
> Indeed, some biologists take very different views.  For example, Edward O.
> Wilson in _On Human Nature_ (Harvard U.P., 1978), chapter 6, esp. pages 141-
> -7 on the prevalence of homosexuality in many species and human cultures.
> Do you consider your biological authority & expertise greater than Wilson's?

I suppose that my experience and motivation is somewhat different from
Wilson's.
I notice that animals engage in aberrant behaviours when under deprivations.
A question that homosexuality raises for me, is "what is wrong with the
society or the system that is inducing this choice of behaviour"?
I see it rather of a symptom of some underlying problem.

The recruitment phase of homosexuality seems more like a follow-on
phenomenon.
> 4.  This raises the question of your judgment on the validity of  the
> supernatural creationist account in Genesis 1 & 2.  Do you consider more
> worthy of belief than the Darwinian-Mendelian account of evolution in modern
> biology?  If so, please explain.
>
> -- Ron

I don't find  Genesis 1 & 2 and Darwin-Mendel to be mutually exclusive.
Darwin and Mendel can't help you much with questions about the origin of
life,
but are pretty good at some principles of genetics and at showing how
natural
and artificial selection operate under selection pressure.