[Peace-discuss] Re: Fw: Re: [Peace] Fwd: [stop] ACTION ALERT: Arraignment for Mark Nepermann Tomorrow

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 12:49:54 CDT 2009

The actual display was the following:

A sign that had "FIGHTING ILLINI" spelled backwards and the text
below "Today your guest is (different Native tribe)" -- the different
Native tribes being the tribes that were in Illinois.

So, I don't see how it could be unambiguously anti-Chief.  And "in
yr. face" is really ridiculous when one looks at the history of his
art pieces.

 From the News Gazoo:
Heap of Birds, who is 54, has exhibited internationally and at major
museums, among them the Smithsonian Institution and the Denver Art
Museum – where his outdoor "Wheel" sculpture is valued at $500,000.
He exhibited as part of collateral events at the 2007 Venice
Biennale, one of the world's premiere international art exhibitions.

The artist, also a professor of American studies at the University of
Oklahoma, has created seven or eight "Native Host" series of signs
for other cities, including New York. None has been vandalized or
stolen except in Urbana, where the public art exhibit was titled
"Beyond the Chief."

In each venue the "Native Hosts" signs name American Indian tribal
nations that once lived there. Robert Warrior, director of the UI's
Native American House, American Indian Studies and curator of the
exhibit here, said one thing the signs do is mark "in specific ways
previously unmarked and unnamed removals" of American Indians.
--

They were only vandalized here in Urbana.  What does that say about
our population here?

Anyway, I'd write more but I've got to be out at the courthouse for
the first hearings on this case.

Solidarity,
   -N.

Neil Parthun
   Sports/politics writer, UC-IMC || www.ucimc.org

"Early in life I had learned that if you want something, you had
better make some noise." - Malcolm X