[Peace-discuss] ACTION ALERT: Arraignment for Mark Nepermann Tomorrow

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Jul 2 16:31:09 CDT 2009

Neil,

I am not sure if you are kidding or not.

Although I am not part of the CHIEF Yesterday-Today-Forever Crowd, I am
familiar with them and
understand how they think.

They would perceive the backwardized spelling of Fighting Illini as
Incredibly Offensive,
since many of them would associate backwards stuff (backwards writing,
backwards music)
with Satanism and Evil.  The rest would just think that somehow the
artist is making fun of the Fighting Illini.
Even I perceive it that way, but I rather enjoy it because I dont like
the Fighting Illini either.  My favourite
version of the fight song, which they are generally walking worthy of
is:  We're laughing at you , Illinois, for the game
you just blew, Illinois..."

But, if you drive around in Urbana, you will find that there are still a
lot of vehicles with pro-Chief stickers and
lots of pro-Chief T-shirts around town.  And more than half of the
student body was pro-Chief at an recent referendum on campus.
90% of those people are Not anti-Native American.  They just like the
Chief.   Some how he brought some
meaning into their otherwise miserable and pathetic lives.  They miss
the Chief and they are sick about it and mad as hell
about it.  The boys got some free tickets to a miserable and pathetic
basketball game of the UofI against puny little
Eastern Carolina or some such backwater liberal arts college.  Eastern
Carolina almost beat Illinois but failed
because they played even more poorly than Illinois did. It was my first
Illinois basketball game in 35 years (since 1973).  I got
enough of Illinois basketball that I can make it for another 35, thank you.

But the thing that I noticed most clearly was how many people there were
with "CHIEF" sweatshirts, and the mournful cry "Chief...?" at the time
in the
ridiculous event when Illiniwek was supposed to do his dance.   The most
surreal part for me as a virtual foreigner, an unwilling observer in
this pageant
of despair, was the absolute impotence of  the crowd do anything about it.

There is an Anti-Chief crowd and a Pro-Chief crowd that is by necessity,
Anti-(Anti-Chief).  Now, if the same 5-neuron guy who had thought up
the character of Chief Illiniwek had thought of a Dancing Bear instead,
it would be the animal rights crowd vs the Pro-Dancing Bear crowd.

There is no way one can bring in a potentially offensive exhibit like
"Beyond the Chief" into this bruised situation and not get a negative
response.

But actually, I do think that Heap of Birds is far from innocent, and
the coyest being displayed is a Heap or maybe just a Crock.

So what it says about the population is that it is made up of people.

Wayne