[Peace-discuss] Re: [Announce] [Peace] Fwd: [stop] ACTION ALERT: Arraignment for Mark Nepermann Tomorrow

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 23:39:09 CDT 2009

This isn't some random artist.  He's been recognized by the
Smithsonian as well as numerous foundations and even the National
Foundation for the Arts.  He's taught at multiple universities and
teaches currently at the University of Oklahoma.

The artist has had displays with similar themes (the backwards
lettering and the "Your host is...") up in other states and in more
public places than in front of the cultural houses on campus.

Yet, no vandalism there.

He's even done more confrontational work than the "Beyond the Chief"
pieces.

Yet, no vandalism there.

He's even done work at other schools in the Big 10 that challenged
their history of discrimination against Natives.

Yet, no vandalism there.

Out of all the pieces that he's made, put up, distributed in the
public -- only in Champaign/Urbana were any of them disturbed and in
the Nepermann case, actually stolen.

I wouldn't attribute the tenor on campus to being openly hostile to
Natives, but I would attribute it to a monumental ignorance as to why
ridding the University of the red-faced racist minstrel show was the
right idea.

The University had said that it was never an issue of if we were
going to get rid of the Chief, but when.  However, all of the BOT
lacked the spine to make the unpopular decision for the correct
reason.  So when the boogeyman of the NCAA came up, they had the
entity to blame and make the expedient decision they had wanted
without much of the accountability/blame.

The University could start a search for a new mascot.  They have
chosen not to for some reason.  The University could hold a freshman
orientation session about why the Chief was removed and why it was
the appropriate decision for the school.  In fact, such an idea was
given to the Chancellor and the Provost and had a lot of support.
However, it was killed by the Chancellor.

Through their silence and inaction, the University is contributing to
an environment of radical ignorance which breeds intolerance.

Solidarity,
   -N.

Neil Parthun
   Sports/politics writer, UC-IMC || www.ucimc.org

"Early in life I had learned that if you want something, you had
better make some noise." - Malcolm X