[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Candlelight vigil TODAY: Thursday (July 9th), 8:30pm, Alma Mater

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:25:45 CDT 2009

RE: Iranian candlelight vigil and mourning tonight.

I too am reluctant to join the vigil for many of the reasons Mort and
others have pointed out, but I also feel I need to ask Mort to read a
bit carefully what the vigil is about.

The vigil is not outwardly being called a protest against the Iranian
election outcome, rather the vigil is a time of mourning for the lives
lost and to honor those who are currently detained.

However, because the group is calling themselves the Iran Free
Election, I too feel solidarity is not what I as a non-Iranian can
offer because I should have no say in their election process -- I as a
citizen of any other country, especially a very powerful nation,
should not have any power over the elections in any other country. I
will not sign the green scroll.

-karen medina