[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Candlelight vigil TODAY: Thursday (July 9th), 8:30pm, Alma Mater

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 9 10:54:28 CDT 2009

I , and I suspect all (or most of) those in the vigil, know little
about those being detained, those injured or whose lives were lost.
Some (Most?) may well be fine people protesting for honest reasons.
But others may not fit this category, may simply have narrow political
motives, have been paid off, or have been manipulated for malign ends.
As for innocent lives lost, of course it is deplorable and
individually tragic. Perhaps the vigil should better honor those
Iranian lives lost due to U.S. undercover actions as well as those
caught in the crossfire and/or repression of the demonstrations?

Given the lack of firm reliable knowledge of what is happening in
Iran, and the complexity of the situation there, it seems to me unwise
to hold a vigil which will surely be interpreted by most as a vigil
against the Iranian government. That should not be the business of the
anti-war movement.

--mkb