[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Candlelight vigil TODAY: Thursday (July 9th), 8:30pm, Alma Mater

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 9 13:36:17 CDT 2009

What might we have said of Soviet citizens in 1960 who demonstrated in a
provincial Russian city against a stolen American presidential election (as it
probably was)?

I think we might have used something like the SNCC exhortation from a few years
later: "Go organize your own community."

It seems a bit strange to me to demonstrate against injustice in Iran on the day
that our government kills 43 Pakistanis with robot rockets, and while the US is
actively trying to subvert the governmental of Iran, apparently by bribery and
murder.  Do the protesters in Tehran welcome CIA help?

If we have time to demonstrate, let's demonstrate against the criminal war the
US government is waging in our name from Palestine to Pakistan.  --CGE