[Peace-discuss] Urgent: Illinois Homeless/Safe Haven Needs Yr. Help

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 23:24:54 CDT 2009

Hey all -

I've been involved with housing issues in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.

This issue has become really big because there is a lack of low
income housing and overwhelmed homelessness services in CU.

A group of homeless men and women created their own safe and
dignified tent community called Safe Haven and have camped out in the
back of the Catholic Worker House.  Other cities all over the United
States have had successful tent communities to deal with the issue of
homelessness in a dignified grassroots manner.  Safe Haven hoped to
be added to that list.

The city of Champaign has demanded that Safe Haven leave the property
by July 17 or face fines of $750 per day.  Meanwhile, the City has
given these homeless men and women no other alternatives.

Details are here: http://www.ucimc.org/content/action-alert-safe-
haven-under-attack

The homeless need your support, so please take the 3-5 minutes to
email the City Council (their emails are in the article) about your
support for Safe Haven.

Thanks!

Please forward far and wide!

Solidarity,
   -N.

Neil Parthun
   Sports/politics writer, UC-IMC || www.ucimc.org

And Tom said: "Wherever there's a cop beating a guy, wherever a
hungry newborn baby cries, where there's a fight against the blood
and hatred in the air, look for me, Ma. I'll be there. Wherever
there's somebody fighting for a place to stand, a decent job or a
helping hand, wherever somebody's struggling to be free, look in
their eyes, Ma. You'll see me."
-Bruce Springsteen, "Ghost of Tom Joad"