[Peace-discuss] Fw: [cchcc-l] Subject: Take action today on national health reform!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 23:26:15 CDT 2009

Fyi

--- On Wed, 7/8/09, CCHCC <cchcc at healthcareconsumers.org> wrote:

From: CCHCC <cchcc at healthcareconsumers.org>
Subject: [cchcc-l] Subject: Take action today on national health reform!
To: cchcc-l at lists.shout.net
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 12:35 PM

Dear Friends,

Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) and the Health Care
Access Task Force recently launched a Campaign for National Health
Reform, and we need all of you to join with us as we demand REAL health
reform NOW!

We are calling on all people who care about health reform to become
Health Reform Activists with our campaign.
*You can get active today by taking the following steps:*

1. Take the action requested in this e-mail, calling for a public health
insurance option (see below)

2. Signing up to become an activist with our campaign. Go to:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=702
(see further down in this e-mail for more information about our
campaign and the launch of our campaign)

3. Forwarding this e-mail to anyone you know who cares about national
health reform (friends, family, colleagues, organizations, etc.).

*************************************
_*STEP 1:*_* TAKE ACTION TODAY TO DEMAND THAT HEALTH REFORM LEGISLATION
MUST INCLUDE A PUBLIC HEALTH INSURANCE OPTION:

*_Our top priority right now is to demand that any health reform
legislation must include a public health insurance option available to
everyone.

_*Background:
*The House and Senate have already drafted legislation and committees in
each chamber are working hard to finalize their bills.  July and August
are especially crucial for health reform.  This is the time when your
members of Congress will make their decisions about the legislation, and
they need to hear from you!

Of course, they are also hearing from the private insurance industry.
The Washington Post recently reported that private insurance companies
are spending millions to hire over 350 lobbyists in a desperate attempt
to prevent Congress from passing real health reform that includes public
health insurance available to everyone. Private insurance companies do
NOT want to compete against a public health insurance plan, so they are
doing everything possible to try to prevent a public insurance plan,
such as a Medicare-type plan from being included in the legislation.

The voice of the people is louder than any amount of money, so let's
show them just how loud we can be!

*TAKE ACTION! CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS!
*Please take a moment to call several or all of these legislators and
let them know what you, the consumer, think that REAL health reform
should look like.  We have provided a sample script if you need some
help getting started.  Then, if you have time, please report back to us
and let us know how the phone call went (you can e-mail us, or call us
at 352-6533)

Call Rep. Tim Johnson: (217) 403-4690

Call Sen. Dick Durbin: (217) 492-4062

Call Sen. Roland Burris: (217) 492-5089

Sample message:
/"Hello, my name is ________, and I am a resident of _[town, IL]_.

I am calling today to urge (Rep./Sen.)_________ to support real health
reform this year.  I believe real health reform must include a public
health insurance option that is available to everyone.  Thank you."

/If you have a few more minutes, please call two of the key Senators
working on health reform legislation, and leave a similar message
demanding health care reform that includes public health insurance.

Call Sen. Baucus: (202) 224-2651

Call Sen. Dodd: (202) 224-2823

We also encourage you to support Sen. Dick Durbin's efforts to pass REAL
health reform legislation that includes a public health insurance option
by signing his online petition, here:_
http://www.citizensforapublicoption.com/

_***********************************
_*STEP 2:*_* JOIN CCHCC'S NATIONAL HEALTH REFORM CAMPAIGN! BECOME A
HEALTH REFORM ACTIVIST!

*Becoming a Health Reform Activist is easy! Just go to our Campaign
webpage and sign-up for the kinds of actions you are willing to take and
participate in.

We began the Campaign for National Health Reform to provide an
opportunity for local consumers to have a voice in the debate for health
care reform.  This intensive, grassroots, action-oriented campaign will
give local consumers up-to-date information about the development of
national health reform legislation, and ways to take action to make sure
that Congress puts the public's health over private insurance wealth.

Because health reform is moving very quickly, we ask that activists
commit to receiving weekly action alerts and plan on taking one action a
week, if called on to do so. Our pledge to you is that we will monitor
the progress of health reform and call for actions that are effective
and timely, and we won't waste your time by asking you to do things that
will not have an impact. We will be focused, smart, and effective in our
calls to action!
For information about how to get involved and* join the Campaign for
National Health Reform*, click here:_
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=702

_As part of this Campaign, CCHCC's Health Care Access Task Force
developed a set of health reform principles. These principles will help
guide our activism and our analysis of health reform policy and legislation..
You can view* CCHCC's Principles for National Health Reform* here:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=703

_***************************************
*LAUNCHING CCHCC's CAMPAIGN FOR NATIONAL HEALTH REFORM:*
*
*On Friday, June 26, CCHCC launched our local Campaign for National
Health Reform with a press conference outside of Rep. Tim Johnson's
Champaign Office.  Several local consumers made statements to the media
and told their story of how they were denied health care because of
being uninsured or underinsured.  We then called on our elected
officials to listen to the vast majority of the people who are demanding
public health insurance that is available to everyone, affordable,
comprehensive, and guarantees access to quality health care in a timely
manner.

Following the press conference, the dozens of affected consumers and
concerned citizens in attendance marched into Rep. Johnson's office to
deliver our Principles for National Health Reform and the message that
REAL health reform is needed NOW!  We called on Rep. Johnson to submit
our principles to the House committees that are currently drafting
health reform legislation.

To see photos, media coverage and statements from the Launch press
conference, please go to CCHCC's press conference webpage at:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=704

_****************************
Thank you for your support and your activism! We are in the fight of our
lives, and for our lives, and every voice counts!
_*STEP 3:*_* PLEASE REMEMBER TO FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO ANYONE YOU KNOW
WHO CARES ABOUT NATIONAL HEALTH REFORM!*
Join the Campaign for National Health Reform, and help us achieve REAL
health reform NOW!  To get involved, click here:_
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=702

_Thank you.

Claudia Lennhoff, Executive Director
Champaign County Health Care Consumers