[Peace-discuss] binary criterion of war/not war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 18 17:52:33 CDT 2009

The existence of an elite does not make a liberal democracy not to be one; in
fact it may be necessary. (On the concept, see e.g. Francis Fukuyama, "The End
of History and the Last Man" [1992] -- altho' I'm not recommending Fukuyama's
particular argument.)

 From the Greeks to the suppression of political discourse by PR in contemporary
America, political philosophy -- on means and ends -- was always a group
enterprise.  That's what "political" means.

The late Australian social scientist Alex Carey wrote, "The 20th century has
been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The
growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate
propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy."