[Peace-discuss] binary criterion of war/not war

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sun Jul 19 00:06:38 CDT 2009

> Capitalism (understood as corporate power) and democracy are indeed
> contradictories.  The latter has one person/one vote as an ideal; the
former
> says your influence in society depends on the number of "dollar votes" you
control.

That is not how traditional capitalism is understood (corporations did not
exist when capitalism as a theoretical concept and idea originated); nor
does capitalism in economic theory define capitalism as "corporate power"
even after the advent of corporate capitalism.  What you are putting forth
is revisionist ideologically based theory here.

While it may be true that in practice  capitalism may very well equate
influence in society with the number of dollars you control; but that is not
part of the theory of Capitalism.  Furthermore, even your assertion that
capitalism says "your influence in society depends on the number of 'dollar
votes' you control" does not imply or necessarily a notion of corporate
power; it could equally apply to non-corporate organizations and entities.
Hence, your assertion contradicts your understanding of capitalism as being
corporate power or even corporate based.

I do accept that with the rise of large corporate entities in the business
sphere of society and their dominance as actors in the economy we have
experienced a change in capitalism from sole proprietary capitalism to
corporate capitalism in practice, which has resulted in a revision of
capitalist theory and practice while maintain the myth that it is the same
as capitalism of old and as set for by traditional capitalist theory.  But
it probably is not inconsistent with the notion and practice corporate
democracy (which some would call fascism in theory).  Namely, fascism being
that corporate entities not people are the actors or citizens of the
democracy. The corporate actors may let individuals go through the
ritualized symbolic act of voting and think that they are participating in
the decision-making and policy formation while they vote with their economic
resources in terms of manipulating the masses and controlling the candidates
in those elections as well as with their ability to define the range and
scope of alternatives that are considered by the government and its agents.

> And a liberal society (even the utilitarian form you sketch) need not be
very
> democratic to qualify as liberal.

I agree that a liberal society of any form need not be a democratic (in any
philosophical tradition) society.  It was you who connected the two in your
post.  I merely noted that the traditional English liberal tradition within
political philosophy has a basis and grounding in individualism, equality of
interests, and a common societal being defined as that which produces the
greatest good for the greatest number of individuals based on a calculus of
their individual combined pleasures and pains wherein each individual is
treated as being of equal value.  I further noted that said philosophy was
compatible with a given tradition of theory on the notion of democracy in
political philosophy. Ironically, if accepts the collectivist concept of
democracy (i.e., such as one that employs Edmund Burke's notion of "virtual
representation" or some similar formation or such as one which holds that
the State exists with the consent of the citizenry and government reach
decisions and take actions to achieve or further the common good of the
collective as an entity not the individuals as entities), then democracy
cannot really qualify as being liberal in the English tradition of
liberalism.

But back to John's original complaint about constructing lists where all the
items on the list comprise all the items in the universe being considered.
If one says all Presidents are on a given list as having a given set of
properties and not others where none of the Presidents are excluded from the
list, then the list tells us nothing about the universe except that it is
different from some other universes made up of a different set of
non-comparable items - such as comparing a list of U.S. Presidents against a
list of Catholic Popes or the leadership of other countries where some or
all on the alternative lists do not have those qualities.

LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:

> [...]
>
> The point is as I said it all comes down to depending on how you define
> terms.  However, if the existence of an elite does not make a liberal
> democracy not a democracy as you suggest, then I fail to see any
difference
> between fascist dictatorships and liberal democracy except the necessity
> under a fascist dictatorship to have corporations, which did not exist to
> any extent before middle and late industrial period of human history.
> Without the notion of corporations the comparison becomes one of a
> dictatorship versus a democracy where it boils down to the rule of the
many
> versus the rule of the few.  Therefore, if - in empirical reality and
> practice - the existence of an elite does not nullify the existence of a
> democracy, then the notion of democracy in the traditional Greek sense and
> the English Liberal sense becomes meaningless.
>
>> From the Greeks to the suppression of political discourse by PR in
> contemporary
>> America, political philosophy -- on means and ends -- was always a group
>> enterprise.  That's what "political" means.
>
> As far as I am concern, the above is a non-sequitor and not very clear a
> statement at that.  Are you saying that political philosophy was or has
been
> always a group enterprise; or are you saying that political philosophies
on
> the means and ends of the State have always focused on the purposes of the
> State which was viewed as a group enterprise?  Even if you are suggesting
> the latter, there have been both individualistic and collectivistic
notions
> of what the goals, purposes, and ends of the State as a group enterprise
> should be and individual based and collectivist based views of the means
> achieve the goals, purposes, and ends of the State as a group enterprise
> (i.e., a socio-cultural and economic community). This is one of the
features
> that differentiates Anglo-American (and Greek and pre-industrial
revolution
> English and European political discourse) from European political
discourse
> after the industrial revolution. By the way that is also what "social" and
> "cultural" also mean - a group enterprise.  Again depending on how one
> defines terms and cuts the pie, the specifics of what "political,"
"social,"
> and "cultural" refers to varies as does the referents for "polity,"
> "economy," "society," and "community."  However, I fail to see how this
> relates to the topic in question since we are discussing collectivities
and
> not individuals.
>
>> The late Australian social scientist Alex Carey wrote, "The 20th century
> has
>> been characterized by three developments of great political importance:
The