[Peace-discuss] Fw: Will Dick Cheney ever go to jail?

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 17:45:49 CDT 2009

Fyi

--- On Mon, 7/20/09, Charles Chamberlain, Democracy for America <info at democracyforamerica.com> wrote:

From: Charles Chamberlain, Democracy for America <info at democracyforamerica.com>
Subject: Will Dick Cheney ever go to jail?
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Date: Monday, July 20, 2009, 9:58 AM

#yiv1174511029 {
font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10pt;background-color:#fff;margin:5px;}

Jenifer -

 Recently, Newsweek broke big news. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder may be on the verge of appointing a special prosecutor to investigate cases of torture from the Bush era.

This is a major step in the right direction. If we hope to ever hold Bush or Cheney or Karl Rove accountable for their reckless disregard of the Constitution, we need the Attorney General to get the process started.

The problem is there's enormous political pressure to sweep the past under the rug. The fact Attorney General Holder is sending signals that he may move forward despite this pressure shows real courage. But courage alone is not enough. We need action. Attorney General Holder needs to hear from you.

LET ATTORNEY GENERAL HOLDER KNOW YOU DEMAND THE TRUTH NOW

Torture shouldn't be a political issue. Illegal activity must not be swept under a rug. It goes to the core of our fundamental values as Americans. As he decides how to proceed, Attorney General Holder needs to hear that from you.

Unless we hold the architects of the torture program accountable, we're sending the message that there are no consequences for any administration that wants to break the law. If there are no consequences, there's nothing to stop a future administration from ignoring the rule of law for whatever reason, whenever they want.

Take a moment and send Eric Holder a message. Encourage him to move forward with the appointment of a special prosecutor who will be able to investigate the entire torture program, including those who designed and approved it..

SEND HIM A MESSAGE HERE

It takes more than a new President to restore the rule of law. It takes accountability.

Thank you for everything you do to move America forward.

-Charles

Charles Chamberlain, Political Director
Democracy for America

P.S. For this campaign, we've joined with our friends at True Majority. So if you take action today, you'll be doubling the impact.

Democracy for America relies on you and the people-power of more than one million members to fund the grassroots organizing and training that delivers progressive change on the issues that matter. Please Contribute Today and support our mission.

Paid for by Democracy for America, http://democracyforamerica.com/ and not authorized by any candidate. Contributions to Democracy for America are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.