[Peace-discuss] How you can support Safe Haven tent community

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Jul 29 08:28:27 CDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tent Community <cu.tentcommunity at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:42 AM
Subject: updates and upcoming events

Hello supporters and friends,
We had a wonderful open house on Saturday!  Thank you to so many of you for
making the day a positive experience for all involved.

There are a few events on the horizon:

1.  Zoning Board of Appeals Public Hearing, Thursday, July 30 at 4:00 p.m.
in City Council Chambers

This meeting is public, and we would love to have your support at the
meeting; however, please understand that the appeal is going to be
overturned.  The appeals process was simply a way to buy us time, and our
appeal will not stand because it is not the appropriate process to follow to
achieve our goals.  Instead, we are working along the appropriate channels
by meeting with City Council members, who do have the authority to change
the zoning laws.  We ask that if you come to support us, that the support be
offered in a positive and understanding manner to the City Staff.  Their
hands are tied by the zoning code at this point, and what we can do is
continue to engage the City Council to get that zoning code modified.

2.  Moving!

We will be moving from the Catholic Worker House very soon, perhaps as soon
as Thursday evening.  We believe that we have a site lined up, but will wait
to announce the location until the final "okay."  Upon moving, we will find
ourselves with fewer resources/amenities than at the current site,
particularly food and transportation.  Donations of money for bus passes
would be much appreciated.

3.  Meeting for supporters

We are planning a meeting for supporters to present and brainstorm ways that
you all can get involved in this project/campaign.  We have not set a date
for the meeting yet, with the uncertainty of moving, but will do so as soon
as possible.  We are planning for this meeting to probably take place
sometime late next week.  We'll keep you posted!

4.  Meetings with City Council members

We have begun engaging the city council with our proposal for the future.
 We ask that you reach out to the city council members individually with
letters of support for Safe Haven and for them--we believe that the City
will need to save face with this conflict, and advance praise for their
support of Safe Haven can only help that cause.

5.  Website

With luck and a lot of elbow grease, we should have our website up and
running in the near future.  On the website, you'll be able to find the
proposal we have presented to the city, as well as other documents and
information about Safe Haven.  We'll be in touch with the domain name.

Thank you for your continued support!

Safe Haven