[Peace-discuss] How you can support Safe Haven tent community

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Jul 31 09:10:09 CDT 2009

JW wrote:

>     WJ Wrote:
>     Why not some sort of cooperative housing for the homeless?
>     Government programs don't seem to work and are characterized
>     by stupid rules and evil authoritarians rolling up their sleeves
>     to beat people into compliance with the rules.
>     A cooperative system could provide independent super-local
>     governance, some guaranteed freedom from goofy zoners, regulators,
>     and tax-eaters,  protection from predatory construction guilds,
>     all in the name of getting a roof over peoples heads.
>

> I couldn't agree more, Wayne.  I totally believe in credit unions,
> municipal utilities (or co-op utlities, as you describe here), and the
> like.  When I was active with the Prairie Green Party, one of our
> working groups looked into having a municipal utility in Urbana.
> Unfortunately Urbana seemed to be locked into some sort of long-term
> contract with what was then Illinois Power.  I'm sure Champaign is
> too, and likes it that way.
>
> We actually do have people working on free wireless internet access
> for C-U.  It's been in the works for years.  I'm not sure what the
> holdup is.
>
> Cooperative housing is what the Tent City seems to be, actually.  More
> permanent, longer-term cooperative housing would require considerably
> more seed money and strong, smart, committed leadership.  Up in the
> Chicago area, in the heart of the west side ghetto, the Lawndale
> Community Church has been very successful in creating affordable
> housing units for the community, as well as a medical clinic and a
> number of other amenities.  But it has taken almost 30 years to get to
> where they are now, with the same deeply committed pastor there the
> entire time.  All this stuff is more than a notion.  It requires real
> depth of commitment.  Can we find that in Champaign-Urbana?  Can we
> call our neighbors when we need help here?
>
> John Wason
There's more to overcome than just Inertia and stupidity, and ignorance
and apathy.
There's often real deception and political evil afoot.

Illinois Power and the Co-ops got into Spite Wars over the territory in
the days of the establishment of
the existing turf districts.  Illinois Power used to have a PR guy who
would go out and "explain" to folks
that their generators produced a more sine wave like waveform than the
Co-op's (REA) generator which produced
a more square wave like waveform.  IP said their electricity is "round"
while the REA's electricity is "square".
Next the guy would show the people a copper wire, and ask them if the
wire was square or round.
This was in the days when people would put electrical outlets for
refrigerators about 3 feet off the floor
so that they electricity could flow "down" into the compressor.  There
are quite a few old houses wired that way.

I do fortunately have a network of neighbors I can call on here, but it
is rather clear that Urbana/West Urbana is a society
that often includes a lot of what Persig is talking about here:

    "/They look just like the gasoline attendant, staring straight ahead
    in some private trance of their own. I haven't seen that since . . .
    since Sylvia noticed it the first day. They all look like they're in
    a funeral procession. .. Once in a while one gives a quick glance
    and then looks away expressionlessly, as if minding his own
    business, as if embarrassed that we might have noticed he was
    looking at us. I see it now because we've been away from it for a
    long time. The driving is different too. The cars seem to be moving
    at a steady maximum speed for in-town driving, as though they want
    to get somewhere, as though what's here right now is just something
    to get through. The drivers seem to be thinking about where they
    want to be rather than where they are. //I know what it is!...We're
    all strangers again! Folks, I just forgot the biggest gumption trap
    of all. The funeral procession! The one everybody's in, this
    hyped-up, fuck-you, supermodern, ego style of life that thinks it
    owns this country. We've been out of it for so long I'd forgotten
    all about it." - Robert Persig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
    Maintenance.

    /

I agree totally that a tent city is cooperative housing.  I agree that
leadership is needed.
I agree that the local churches are quite often much more concerned
about their own "ceiled houses"
than the needs of the "poor, lame and halt" (maybe you didn't say that
exactly).  I perceive the time
as being short and expect the housing need to increase dramatically.  I
would be pleased to be wrong
in my expectations about the coming winter.

The city of Urbana has no problem pissing away millions on ridiculous
bike paths to nowhere, millions on widening a road to nowhere,
and about a couple hundred thousand on "public art".  The city is also
willing to guaranteed loans in the hundreds of thousands
to ensure that obsolete old houses are not replaced in the
"Busey(-bodies) Corridor".  Finding the seed money is do-able.
Changing priorities is not easy, but what are the choices here?

Sure enough some people think that a tough program of austerity will
"force the bums to move along" and get out of Dodge City,
but sooner or later people will need to awaken and ask "where's the love
y'all?".