[Peace-discuss] How you can support Safe Haven tent community

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Jul 31 12:15:25 CDT 2009

I think the idea is inspiring.

Cooperatives could be a viable libertarian/anarchosyndicalist
alternative to the authoritarian statist-capitalism brought to you by
the Bushite-Obots.  The government serves a role in
enabling/encouraging/promoting volunteerism but not
mandating/dictating/coercing into cooperatives.
Isn't that the normal role of government in America?

Cooperatives should be generally under very local control but could be
part of a much larger networks with multiple links.

There are still quite a few smallish farmer's co-ops out there, locally
there is a Midwest Buyer Co-op,
Hog Inc. in Greenfield (which is a de facto farmer-owned coop although
it is a corporation),
and Fisher Farmers Grain (Premier Grains) in Fisher which has been in
business 102 years.
Land o'Lakes is a cooperative that has some corporate growth
characteristics.
Prairie Farms is also a cooperative, as is GrowMark (FS).   Some co-ops
have failed and were bought out
by corporate giants like ADM, Cargill, Smithfield, etc., and some have
been successful and retained
their friendly local service-oriented character.

The fact that co-ops can fail is actually a good thing and an advantage
of coops over government agencies.
If coops become destructive to the ends they were created to serve,
co-ops can fail.  It's
a major undertaking to alter or to abolish a destructive government that
is not responsive to
needs of the people.