FW: [Peace-discuss] binary criterion of war/not war

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Jul 31 13:34:33 CDT 2009

All wars can be interpreted as being such if one digs beneath the surface
and attempts to assign economics as an exclusive or primary cause; but as is
the case with many things, it is a matter of degree with other variable
playing a greater or less part in causing and justifying wars.  If one goes
past the advent of the industrial revolution and back to tribal wars, one
may find that variables such as quests for power and influence or more power
and influence, the promotion of cultural and religious superiority (where
one's opponent is viewed as a demon, possessed evil spirit, or a non-human
who needs to be vanquished, terminated, or otherwise controlled), the
acquisition or protection of prestige, and the like may be the motivating
factor or the more significant reason for going to war.  In point of fact,
we and the historians do not have any idea what the actual operative
motivations or reasons for wars were and are only engaging in after the fact
interpretations and attributions based on our own perspectives and not those
of the actual participants.  Sort of a reverse "false consciousness"
argument where it is not the participant who is being said to be afflicted
with false consciousness but the detached observer and interpreter who is
engaging in "false consciousness."