[Peace-discuss] On the Iraq-US SOFA agreement

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Fri Jul 31 14:39:01 CDT 2009

…We've sat on our sofas while a so-called SOFA eliminated the
requirement that our congress approve treaties and wiped out any
remnant of the congressional power to begin and end wars. We've set an
international precedent whereby wars of aggression are justified
through treaties made with puppet governments installed by the
invaders. We've proactively torn up Obama's promise to have (at least
"combat") troops out in 16 months, so that he didn't have to. We've
allowed violations of the treaty to pass unnoticed and announcements
of intent to prolong the occupation further to go unchallenged. We've
effectively made the occupation of Iraq permanent by allowing George
W. Bush to play us all for fools from the comfort of his Dallas
mansion, and by imagining that electing someone else to take his place
had anything to do with our peace movement. …

A reflection from David Swenson, who reviews and interprets what the
SOFA agreement has been about. I would'nt subscribe to all he
concludes, chastizing the anti-war movement, but the article is useful
in clarifying its faults and consequences.

http://charlottesvillepeace.org/node/2001

--mkb