[Peace-discuss] Re: Call Congress - defeat war supp - WE ARE CLOSE!! focus: Schakowsky, Gutierrez, Jackson

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 11 07:51:03 CDT 2009

[Swanson's a good deal more generous than he should be.]

	Congressional Heroes and Frauds
	By David Swanson

Congress members know they were elected to end the war and that their
constituents want them to follow through. Fifty-one Democrats recently
voted against a war supplemental funding bill, knowing that the bill
would easily pass. Now (because an IMF bailout scam opposed by all
Republicans has been added to the bill) only about 40 Democrats need to
vote No to block the war money. However, voting No when it could
actually matter is very different from voting No for show only. We are
about to see the original 51 split into heroes and frauds.

These are the 51: Baldwin, Capuano, Clarke, Cohen, Conyers, Cooper,
Costello, Doggett, Edwards (MD), Ellison, Farr, Filner, Frank (MA),
Grayson, Grijalva, Gutierrez, Honda, Inslee, Kagen, Kaptur, Kucinich,
Lee (CA), Lewis (GA), Lofgren, Zoe, Markey (MA), Massa, Matsui,
McDermott, McGovern, Michaud, Miller, George, Napolitano, Neal (MA),
Oberstar, Payne, Pingree (ME), Polis (CO), Schakowsky, Serrano,
Shea-Porter, Speier, Thompson (CA), Tierney, Towns, Tsongas, Velázquez,
Waters, Watson, Weiner, Welch, Woolsey.

Some have committed to voting No, so we can tentatively move them to the
Heroes category.

The rest, if they do not take a stand when it counts, may end up in the
category of frauds. Even those who vote No may still end up on the list
of frauds if the bill passes and they vote toward the end of the roll
call. For example, Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur has told House Speaker
Nancy Pelosi that she will vote No at the end of the voting if the bill
has enough votes to pass.

Want to see who's a hero and who's a fraud?  Go to:
http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/43479