[Peace-discuss] Re: Call Congress - defeat war supp - WE ARE CLOSE!! focus: Schakowsky, Gutierrez, Jackson

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 11 10:39:27 CDT 2009

	The war over IMF funding
	Obama's plan to give $108bn to the IMF may be thwarted
	by anti-war Democrats in Congress
           o Mark Weisbrot
           o guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 June 2009 19.30 BST

The Obama administration and Democratic leaders in Congress can't seem to muscle
the votes they need to pass a $108bn appropriation for the IMF. The stakes are
high for both the administration and the world. The battle is taking place
primarily under the radar, but the details are very interesting for what they
reveal about politics in the United States.

The cast of characters: the US Treasury, an opaque institution that is kind of a
permanent government; the anti-war movement, which has more clout and
representation in Congress than you would know from reading the newspapers;
groups concerned about global justice and the IMF's abuses; the Republican
congressional leadership, which hopes to score some political points in opposing
the IMF funding; and the various members of Congress and their personal beliefs
and constituencies.

The plot: the Obama administration is trying to get $108bn for the IMF as part
of a commitment that Obama made at the G20 meeting in April, led by the G7
(high-income) countries, to raise $500bn for the IMF from member countries.

But, from the beginning, the administration has faced tremendous obstacles to
getting a majority members of the House of Representatives to vote for the money
in an up-or-down vote. This is because many members of both parties are afraid
that it would be seen as another taxpayer bailout for the financial industry –
and foreign banks at that.

Which it appears to be, actually. This unprecedented increase in the Fund's
resources, with a goal of $1tn, is vastly higher than anything the institution
has ever seen. It happens to coincide with huge expected losses by western
European banks in eastern Europe, where these banks have at least $1.4tn in
exposure. To make the issue even more delicate, some of these banks, like
France's Societe Generale, have already received US taxpayer dollars through AIG
under the Tarp programme.

Some of these taxpayer handouts to domestic and foreign financial institutions
have been difficult to justify, not least the billions that have ended up as
dividends for shareholders or bonuses for executives who helped crash the
economy. So it is easy to see why the administration wanted to avoid an up or
down House vote on the IMF money.

This was done by attaching the IMF money to a supplemental war spending bill in
the Senate. The House had already passed its war spending bill without the IMF
money. But the normal procedure is for the two chambers to reconcile their
differences and present a bill – which would presumably include the IMF money –
to both houses, with the idea that "funding for the troops" must be passed.

Enter the anti-war movement: 51 House Democrats had already voted against the
war spending when it passed the House. Should they now vote in favour of it in
order to give the IMF money? The Democratic leadership says yes, but anti-war
Dems are saying no. They want to see some indication that the occupation of
Afghanistan is not permanent.

Jim McGovern of Massachusetts had proposed an amendment to the war spending bill
that would have required the Pentagon to submit a report by December outlining
an exit strategy from Afghanistan. (It now has 86 sponsors). The House
leadership, presumably on behalf of the Obama administration, rejected this
moderate proposal.

Then there are the Democrats who actually know what the IMF does. Forty-one of
these (with much overlap with the anti-war Dems) signed a letter asking the US
Treasury – which is the principal overseer of the IMF – to commit to some modest
reforms of the Fund in return for the money. They want the IMF to stop requiring
countries that are suffering from economic downturns to cut spending, raise
interest rates or take other measures that worsen their decline. They want
parliamentary approval in recipient countries for IMF agreements, and to
increase debt cancellation for poor countries. But the Treasury has refused to
offer any concessions.

Now come the Republicans, who supplied 168 votes for the war spending in the
House. If you attach the IMF money, they say, we will vote against it this time.
"Against funding for the troops?" asks the Democratic leadership, daring them.
That's right, say the Republicans, unless you put the IMF money to a separate vote.

Interestingly, the Republicans are not trying very hard to get the IMF money
removed. They are not saying anything on television or in the media. This
indicates that they may want this money to pass with only Democratic votes, so
that they can attack the Dems – especially those in conservative districts –
when the money ends up bailing out the European banks in eastern Europe.

So far, the Obama administration has failed to peel off enough anti-war or
pro-social-justice Democrats to get a majority for a bill which includes IMF money.

What is at stake here? For the anti-war movement and the world, it would be a
small but significant step forward if this legislation failed because a sizeable
group of Democrats want an exit strategy from Afghanistan. For those who want
reform of the IMF, and favour economic progress generally, there is perhaps even
more at stake.

Ten years ago the IMF was one of the most powerful institutions in the world,
and the main avenue of influence for the US government in developing countries
during a period in which the vast majority suffered long-term economic growth
failure. Most of the IMF's power has been lost over the last decade. The US
Treasury wants to use the current economic crisis to regain that power, without
reforming the institution or its policies or granting a significant voice to
developing countries. We will see what happens.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2009/jun/10/imf-congress-funding-war-supplemental