[Peace-discuss] Pakistan's [assisted] suicide

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 14 23:43:52 CDT 2009

[The Pakistan government arranges peace, and the Obama administration pays them
to make war instead. “Hatred of America is much more than of the Taliban.”]

	From The Sunday Times [UK]
	June 14, 2009
	Imran Khan warns of Pakistan’s ‘suicide’
	Christina Lamb

Pakistan's military offensive against the Taliban will backfire and fuel more
extremism and bomb attacks, the cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan warned
last week.

“I have never been so depressed in my life,” he said. “Pakistan is on a suicidal
course.”

Khan was speaking in London, where he was visiting his two sons by his ex-wife
Jemima before heading to America to raise funds for refugees displaced by the
fighting.

The 56-year-old leader of Pakistan’s Movement for Justice party has been branded
pro-Taliban for speaking out against the military operation, which has driven
2.5m people from their homes.

“I’m not pro-Taliban,” he said. “But my point is: shouldn’t we have looked at
other options? How do you justify using heavy artillery, helicopter gunships and
F-16 fighter-jets in civilian areas? Who in the world does this? Meanwhile all
the top Taliban leadership have escaped. It’s so inhuman, what they have done;
it will backfire.”

Khan pointed out that the launch of the operation coincided with President Asif
Ali Zardari’s visit to Washington in late April, after which the US agreed a
five-year deal worth $1.5 billion (£910m) a year. “Was this operation to save
the people of Swat or to get dollars from the Americans?” he asked.

“Only 10 days earlier, Parliament had passed a resolution endorsing a peace deal
in Swat with the Taliban. Why was there no discussion? A military operation
should have been the last resort.”

Khan insisted that Pakistan would never contain extremism as long as American
troops remained across the border in Afghanistan. “Hatred of America is much
more than of the Taliban,” he said.

The first European Union-Pakistan summit will be held in Brussels this week at
which Zardari will call for more aid for the refugee crisis.

“How do we look after these refugees?” Khan asked. “Already you see the anger.
This is a very sorry chapter in Pakistan's history.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6493667.ece