[Peace-discuss] ] $10, 000 Reward: Show How the Iranian Election Was "Stolen"

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 21:30:05 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM, C. G. Estabrook<galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:
> This seems rather odd, Bob.  Is your notion that the reward will not be
> claimed and that you will therefore show by a sort of indirect proof that
> the election was valid?

No, I had no intention of proving anything by the fact of the reward
not being claimed, although I am sure it won't be. Rather, I saw it as
a rhetorical device to underline for the reader what's missing from
the "stolen election" story: a coherent story. In this way, the stolen
Iranian election conspiracy theory is a lot like the 9/11 conspiracy
theory. There's no coherent story, that adds up to a stolen election,
only anecdotes, questions, and conjectures, and a lot of disconnected
piecemeal claims that don't bear scrutiny.

> And the point of that? To prevent the US government from gaining some sort
> of advantage over the Iranian government by impeaching its title to office?

To help undermine the current ill-conceived campaign to delegitimize
the Iranian government whose purpose is to thwart the diplomatic
engagement with Iran that Obama promised, because the likely
alternative, in the long run, to diplomatic engagement is war.

Blocking Western diplomatic engagement with Iran is the objective of
the Iranian opposition right now, according to a Western spokesman for
Mr. Mousavi:

------

Mr. Makhmalbaf said Mr. Mousavi and others in the opposition fear that
Western leaders will eventually negotiate with the Iranian government
despite its loss of legitimacy since the disputed elections.

"We are afraid Western countries, including the United States, will
sign a deal with an Ahmadinejad government [even though] it is an
illegal government that has not been elected and has come to power by
a coup d'etat," he said.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/25/opposition-alters-tactics-to-avoid-protest-deaths/?page=2

---

P.S. Someone made a nicely organized Iran election  claim/counterclaim
website here:

http://www.iranaffairs.com/iran_affairs/2009/06/iran-elections-claims-and-counterclaims-analyzed.html