[Peace-discuss] Anti-racism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 5 12:29:05 CST 2009

[I'll take the liberty of re-posting an observation on which I believe you and I
agreed, John. --CGE]

...John is correct I think to suggest that there is a tendency in recent
American liberalism to substitute diversity for (economic) equality as the goal
of progressive politics.

The argument is sharply set out by Walter Benn Michaels in "The Trouble with
Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality" (2006).  And
it's been argued that the real story of Tom Frank's "What's the Matter With
Kansas?" (2004) is that the working class abandoned the Democratic party when
the Democrats abandoned economic equality (insofar as they ever embraced it) in
favor of diversity.

Benn Michaels summarized his argument in a recent issue of the British journal,
"New Left Review."  Here is his conclusion:

"...the answer to the question, ‘Why do American liberals carry on about racism
and sexism when they should be carrying on about capitalism?’, is pretty
obvious: they carry on about racism and sexism in order to avoid doing so about
capitalism. Either because they genuinely do think that inequality is fine as
long as it is not a function of discrimination (in which case, they are
neoliberals of the right). Or because they think that fighting against racial
and sexual inequality is at least a step in the direction of real equality (in
which case, they are neoliberals of the left).  Given these options, perhaps the
neoliberals of the right are in a stronger position -- the economic history of
the last thirty years suggests that diversified elites do even better than
undiversified ones. But of course, these are not the only possible choices."

<http://www.newleftreview.org/?page=article&view=2731>