[Peace-discuss] Anti-racism

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 12:49:07 CST 2009

"But you're saying Americans don't generally share these racist attitudes about Arabs/Muslims, these reflected in Carl's poll?"

I have to doubt that a poll of Americans regarding Arab/Muslim citizens or residents in this country would show the same results as those cited in Carl's original post regarding Israel. One caveat is that prejudice that may exist here is probably less likely to be openly expressed (or in a poll) than in Israel. I tend to think that the official notion of basic human equality, or civil equality, pretty much part of American culture since the Civil Rights era, is viewed as somewhat quaint in Israel, to say the least. That's not what they're referring to when "shared values" are invoked, at least not beyond Israel's claim to be democratic in the most procedural sense--not that we have a vibrant democracy in this country.