[Peace-discuss] Anti-racism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 7 21:09:38 CST 2009

"Frame"?  Do you mean "argument"? I think G. Lakoff has done a lot of damage to
liberal thought in America.

"Sectarian"? What sects did you have in mind?

Racism and sexism, in the sense of prejudice based on race and gender, are
wrong. (It goes without saying that so is any legal embodiment of them). They
are used, although probably decreasingly, by the US elite to divide workers from
one another.  But CEOs don't want competent managers to be excluded from their
companies because of race, nor do they want barriers placed in the way of their
daughters' career advancement.

Thirty years ago, the Left in this country turned away from criticizing
capitalism, out of despair that anything could be done about it.  They opted
instead for group solidarity -- "identity politics."  The result was that they
were co-oped by the business parties, culminating in the Obama campaign -- a
conservative apologist for the elite completed the neutralization of the Left.

Many sincere people think that "fighting against racial and sexual inequality is
at least a step in the direction of real equality," instead of a substitute for
it.  I hope they're right.  But they tend to ignore the difference between
conflicts about race or gender and conflicts about class.  The former can in
principle be solved by reconciliation; the latter, not by reconciliation
(exploiter and exploited cannot reconcile) but by the elimination of
exploitation -- i.e., the elimination of the social role of the exploiter.