[Peace-discuss] More about The Lobby

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 12 12:00:52 CDT 2009

Remarks follow

I'll wait for an explanation as to why and how Charles Schumer
undermines U.S. interests. In fact, he supports them.

 > Schumer sees Israel's interests as U.S. interests. That does not
prove they are U.S. interests. Read Freeman's indictment of such as
Schumer.

Ideological unity regarding support for Israel is a centerpiece of
American policy in the ME, agreed to by both parties.

 > To a large extent because of the the Lobby's propaganda and
political muscle. Are you not turning things upside down?

Any genuine support for a viable Palestinian state, which would dispel
the myth of "endangered Israel," will have to be accompanied by a
"change of course"; that is, a pragmatic re-assessment of alliances,
such as was done with Libya.

 > I would argue that Libya changed its tunes, not particularly the
U.S. .

  If this is done vis a vis Hizbollah/Syria, then we will magically
see an accommodation with the Palestinians regardless of the Israel
Lobby, which will indeed support it, and moreover will claim that that
was what they supported all along, and that they were the ones who
thought of it.

 > The problem is that the Lobby hinders any alignment which goes
against what Israel says. Yes, if Israel changed course, things would
indeed improve, but that is just the problem.

The CEO's of the corporations Chomsky mentions might also find
opportunities to invest in Indonesia, the Philippines, Abu Dabei(?),
….  Perhaps they are are not unaware of this; they could be making a
mistake by investing in Israel, but are willing to take short term
gains when they are offered.

The interests of these corporations are not congruent with the broader
interests of the USA, and this is what the many critics of the Lobby
are referring to. I would guess that many corporations are not that
happy with the  situation, and will be less so if divestment and
boycott becomes significant. Others, including our Congress, abetted
by the Lobby with its money and media influence (read NYT, WP, WSJ)
refuse to admit this.

--mkb