[Peace-discuss] More about The Lobby

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 13:16:05 CDT 2009

Remarks on remarks on red.

________________________________

From: Morton K. Brussel <brussel at illinois.edu>
To: David Green <davegreen84 at yahoo.com>
Cc: C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>; Peace Discuss <peace-discuss at anti-war.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:00:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] More about The Lobby

Remarks follow

I'll wait for an explanation as to why and how Charles Schumer undermines U.S. interests. In fact, he supports them.

> Schumer sees Israel's interests as U.S. interests. That does not prove they are U.S. interests. Read Freeman's indictment of such as Schumer.

>>Schumer's interests, like those of nearly all congresspersons, are those of U.S. corporations and state capitalism/militarism, to which Israel has for the most part geared its own (state, corporate, military) interests. On occasion, those interests might compete with individual American corporations/sectors, but that's no different than any other country. Israel never challenges American hegemony. Israel never undertakes any major operation, including Gaza, without American support.

Ideological unity regarding support for Israel is a centerpiece of American policy in the ME, agreed to by both parties.

> To a large extent because of the the Lobby's propaganda and political muscle. Are you not turning things upside down?

>>We can deal with chickens and eggs, but that muscle didn't mean much until 1967, when Israel displayed its own in defeating Egypt; it didn't mean much when Carter decided to bring Israel and Egypt to the table and end the occupation of Sinai (in order to bring Egypt into the fold); the Lobby's display of muscle has been for show vis a vis Saudi Arabia--as if they would ever attack Israel with the weapons we sell them; and at this point the Lobby seems of lessening influence in relation to Iran. But the ideology and "loyalty" persists regardless of political pragmatism, because it provides a moral narrative that makes "sense" of an otherwise confusing region (after all, they're all Muslims), and has indeed provided the background for what Chomsky calls "the new military humanism" (Panama, Kosovo, Iraq). Jewish institutions have provided a great service to power in this country, and have been rewarded--look at the Holocaust Museum. When Jews get killed
 in Mumbai, it's a godsend to the GWOT--it wouldn't be quite the same without that symbolism. But at bottom its their ability to make examples out of Arabs that makes them indispensable, for now.

Any genuine support for a viable Palestinian state, which would dispel the myth of "endangered Israel," will have to be accompanied by a "change of course"; that is, a pragmatic re-assessment of alliances, such as was done with Libya.

> I would argue that Libya changed its tunes, not particularly the U.S.

>>Yes, it's obviously a reverse situation, but Libya was no longer useful as the devil, just like Israel will at some point no longer be useful as a saint.

 If this is done vis a vis Hizbollah/Syria, then we will magically see an accommodation with the Palestinians regardless of the Israel Lobby, which will indeed support it, and moreover will claim that that was what they supported all along, and that they were the ones who thought of it.

> The problem is that the Lobby hinders any alignment which goes against what Israel says. Yes, if Israel changed course, things would indeed improve, but that is just the problem.

>>Yes, but there's not the least indication that such an alignment would include any more than a few elected officials with no power to change things. And Israel will  only change course if the U.S. does, and we'll likely be back where we started.

The CEO's of the corporations Chomsky mentions might also find opportunities to invest in Indonesia, the Philippines, Abu Dabei(?),  ….  Perhaps they are are not unaware of this; they could be making a mistake by investing in Israel, but are willing to take short term gains when they are offered.

The interests of these corporations are not congruent with the broader interests of the USA, and this is what the many critics of the Lobby are referring to. I would guess that many corporations are not that happy with the  situation, and will be less so if divestment and boycott becomes significant. Others, including our Congress, abetted by the Lobby with its money and media influence (read NYT, WP, WSJ) refuse to admit this.

>>So if they're not happy, and they decide to turn away from Israel in terms of the "special relationship", they will, Lobby or not. When the corporations are ready for a change of course, they will change course, in pursuit of short term gains, but in the long-term the strategy will still be control of ME oil. In the final analysis, neither the interests of corporations or Israel is congruent with those of the American people, so what else is new? The authority of the Israeli leadership class is based on pleasing the U.S. and reaping the rewards; they'll outsource jobs from their own country, just like our corps do, if need be, they probably already do; they'll dance to whatever tune is necessary, because they've subordinated their country to American (elite) interests. If they all the sudden wake up and become a decent country, our policies vis a vis the ME will not change. We might as well skip the middle man and go straight to the source of these
 policies, which is the USG.

DG

--mkb