[Peace-discuss] No enemies to the left

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 22:58:08 CDT 2009

This is what I feared -- the Democrats, by and large, slinking to the
defense of Obama, saying he has to engage in these destructive,
imperial policies to avoid criticism from the far-right fringes of
the American political discourse.

In talks with some friends, one of them put it quite succinctly: "No
matter what Obama does to prove his hawkish bones and that the Dems
are not 'soft on terror', the Republicans are always going to call
him and the Dems a bunch of pussies.  But for some reason, rank-n-
file Democrats think that by going over the top to make their bones
to be 'tough on terror', 'tough on crime', etc., they will stop the
allegations."

The far right is always going to call any non rightist a "pussy" --
as the right would have killed more people, killed them faster, done
it more effectively, et al.  Yet, the rank-n-file Democrats seem to
feel that they need to fall in line to defend an indefensible policy
-- the imperial occupation of a country and to dictate to them how to
run their lives.

I know that the Democratic leadership is bought and sold by US
corporate and imperial interests.  I just don't see why rank-n-file
Democrats don't seem to want to stop this insanity.  Albert Einstein
said the essence of insanity is doing the same thing over and over
again and expecting a different result.  The rank-n-file Democrats
have fallen behind LBJ during his bloodbath in Vietnam thinking that
this would exorcise the idea of the 'weak in war' Democrats, Bill
Clinton's bombings and deathdealing throughout the world and now the
Obama run warfare.  Yet, the right still says they are soft on their
"enemy" and the Dems think that further acquiescence of more hawkish
policies will curb such criticism from the right.

Solidarity,
      Neil

The truth won't defend itself, though, and bastard or not, it's got me.
[warren ellis, 1968-]